Many farms and food processing operations use refrigeration equipment to cool and preserve their produce and food products. From cooling milk to packaging frozen vegetables, refrigeration is a critical part of our food supply system.
The energy to run refrigeration equipment can be a large—or, in some cases, the largest—cost to business, so using energy efficiently is good for business and the environment.
You can save energy on refrigeration by:
- choosing high efficiency refrigeration equipment of the right size and type for the task
- strategically designing and locating your refrigeration equipment and cooled storage facilities for greatest efficiency
- minimising the cooling load on equipment by reviewing your work processes (e.g. packing food when it is cool or pre-cool it; keeping cool room doors closed)
- conducting regular maintenance and monitoring of refrigeration equipment and cooled facilities
- using more energy efficient power sources.
Here are some useful resources to help you save even more:
Learn from others — case studies
See how packing sheds in Tasmania and Western Australia reduced head pressure on their refrigeration systems for significant savings, in this case study by Apple and Pear Australia Limited.
Learn how Radevski Coolstores upgraded its refrigeration system at two sites to save thousands on its energy bills, in this case study by Apple and Pear Australia Limited.
Explore how meat wholesaler BE Campbell upgraded the refrigeration system at an abattoir for ongoing annual energy savings of nearly $300,000, in this case study from AgInnovators.
Learn how to improve winery refrigeration efficiency, in this reference guide and case studies from Wine Australia.
See how a mushroom producer installed variable cooling water temperatures for its water-cooled chiller system to cut energy costs by 8 per cent and save about $30,000 a year, in this case study from the NSW Office of Environment and Heritage.
Act now — fact sheets, guides and tools
Get tips for improving efficiency in cool rooms and refrigeration equipment, and more information about refrigeration and variable speed fans,in these resources from AgInnovators.
Find out more about cutting the energy costs of refrigeration in packing sheds, with this fact sheet from Apple and Pear Australia Limited.
Read this comprehensive industrial refrigeration guide from the NSW Office of Environment and Heritage.
Explore ways to save energy on dairy farm refrigeration and more, with this guide from the Department of Resources, Energy and Tourism and Dairy Australia.
Know your options — more help and ideas
Victorian Energy Saver provides tools and information to help Victorian Businesses save energy and money.
- access and understanding energy data
- learn about energy retail offers and contracts
- get government assistance through business grants, training and support
- access discount energy saving products from the Victorian Energy Upgrades program e.g. upgrades to lighting, refrigeration fans, hot water and custom upgrades
- explore renewable energy options with Saving with Solar.