Why have an assessment
The Residential Efficiency Scorecard has been developed by the Victorian Government to help Victorians better understand the energy performance of their homes and to make informed choices about improving the quality of their living environment, while saving money on their gas and electricity bills.
The Scorecard is an exciting development that will enable Victorians to make more sustainable and cost effective choices for their homes. The Scorecard has been designed to provide;
- a trusted approach so that householders can be confident in their home's star rating
- a technically robust analysis of the complex interactions of a home that influence energy use, so that householders can take action
- a comparable star rating for homes that is easy to share, and can be used to compare before and after a home renovation, or between homes
- concise information on the performance of key elements of the home, potential improvements, and rate the performance of the home in very hot conditions.
Householders who wish to have an assessment will be able to engage an accredited assessor to undertake an on-site Scorecard assessment at their home. Scorecard assessors use a purpose-built web app to enter information about the features of the home, including:
- air conditioners
- hot water systems
- construction materials
- renewable energy sources, such as solar power systems.
At the conclusion of the hour long assessment householders receive a Scorecard certificate, which provides an overview of the energy efficiency of the home. Including:
- an overall star rating out of 10 that represents the average cost of energy for the home
- the performance of key features of the home
- performance of the home in hot conditions
- recommendations to improve the rating and energy features of the home.
The Victorian Government is providing access to the Scorecard tool for free to assessors. Assessors are likely to charge you for their service.
Be aware of the time and cost commitment before you agree to a Scorecard rating. The cost of an assessment may vary so discuss this with an assessor before booking.
Find out more about the household features assessed by the Scorecard
Find out more about the Scorecard certificate and how it can help you reduce your energy bills
Find out more about how the Scorecard assessment process will work for you