The Victorian Government's Home Energy Assist program, which began in 2017, is investing $17 million to support energy upgrades for 3,300 Victorian households who are most in need. This is part of our ongoing commitment to improve wellbeing for Victorians on low income through more affordable energy bills and more comfortable homes.
Energy Savvy Upgrades
The Victorian Government is providing assistance to households experiencing energy stress to keep energy bills in check. The Energy Savvy Upgrades program will partner with community organisations to offer subsidised energy efficiency and renewable energy upgrades to a limited number of low income households; for example, concession card holders, people living with a chronic or ongoing medical condition or mobility issues.
Participating households can expect to receive:
- an in-home energy assessment to find the biggest opportunities to improve the energy efficiency of their home. The cost of the assessment is $100, however households conducting upgrades as a result of the assessment will have the fee credited against the cost of the upgrades
- free guidance on the use of Victorian Energy Compare to help householders choose the best energy plan to suit their needs. More information can be found here
- a generous Government subsidy towards the cost of a home retrofit, which could include renovations such as sealing draughts, improving insulation and upgrading appliances to more energy efficient models. Upgrades will be performed by licensed and qualified tradespeople, and arranged by program staff on behalf of participating households
- free assistance to participate in the Solar Homes package.
The program will be delivered across regions of Victoria between now and March 2021.
If you would like to register your interest in participating as a household or a supplier, please email Scorecard@delwp.vic.gov.au, providing the following information:
- Your first and last name
- Your postcode
- Your phone number
- Whether you are a household looking for an upgrade, or a supplier who wants to participate in the program.
The Home Energy Assist program also includes:
Victorian Healthy Homes is providing free home energy upgrades to 1000 vulnerable Victorians who live with complex healthcare needs and have low incomes, in Melbourne’s western suburbs and the Goulburn Valley.
Energy Smart Public Housing program is replacing inefficient electric water heaters and electric heaters in 1300 public housing properties and delivering tailored upgrades to a further 200.
In addition, the Latrobe Valley Home Energy Upgrade program is offering solar installations and energy upgrades to up to 1,000 vulnerable households in Latrobe City, Wellington and Baw Baw local government areas.