What you don’t measure, you can’t manage, and this includes energy consumption. Businesses that understand their energy use—how much they’re using, when, and for what purposes—are in the best position to save energy and money.
Monitoring your energy use will show you where you can save. You’ll identify where you’re using the most energy (e.g. refrigeration) and possibly wasting energy. You’ll know whether you can take advantage of off-peak tariffs or reduce peak demand charges, and where equipment upgrades or process redesign might make your operations more energy efficient.
To monitor energy, you need data, which you can get from meters, sub-meters and fuel records.
Energy-saving actions matter. Start with these resources.
Learn from others — case studies
There are very few industry case studies on this topic, but here are some simple examples of potential savings from switching tariffs for farmers and irrigators, from the Queensland Government. (Note: You will need to adjust for the tariffs available to your business.)
Act now — fact sheets, guides and tools
Use our Victorian Energy Saver Guide to accessing and understanding your electricity consumption as a good starting point for your energy monitoring efforts.
Learn how to estimate, measure, evaluate and track energy efficiency opportunities, with the Energy Savings Measurement Guide from the Department of Resources, Energy and Tourism.
Consider using a simple energy log to track your energy use. This example of an energy log for farms from Iowa State University will give you some ideas (ignore the USA units of measure).
Know your options — more help and ideas
Victorian Energy Saver provides tools and information to help Victorian Businesses save energy and money.
- access and understanding energy data
- learn about energy retail offers and contracts
- get government assistance through business grants, training and support
- access discount energy saving products from the Victorian Energy Upgrades program e.g. upgrades to lighting, refrigeration fans, hot water and custom upgrades
- explore renewable energy options with Saving with Solar.
- It may pay you to get in an energy expert to go through your data and see what options are available to you.
Page last updated: 18/02/20